Also available in: Italiano
- PianoLink Music Association, in cooperation with Yamaha Music Europe branch Italy and Cremona Musica International Exhibitions and Festival, announces the Second Edition of the PianoLink International Amateurs Competition for amateur pianists, dedicated to all piano lovers and aficionados. Artistic Direction by Andrea Vizzini and Roberto Prosseda.
- Dates and Locations. The competition will be held Online from July 1st, 2021 (Preliminary Round) and successively in Cremona, Italy, on September 25th, 2021 (Final Round) and in both Milano, Italy, and Saint Petersburg, Russia, in 2022 (Winner’s Concerts).
- Admission. All amateur pianists of every country and origin born before September 1st, 1991, who are not professional pianists or who have not been professional pianists for at least the last 10 years, are admitted. By professional pianist it is intended anyone who engages in concert activities and/or teaching activities for remunerative purposes. By amateur it is meant, instead, whoever enjoys their pianistic activity outside of their professional field, with or without any type of Diploma in Piano Performance. Amateur pianists who entertain a professional career in music teaching, only if relative to subjects or instruments which differ from the Piano, are included in the Competition.
- Categories. The Competition is divided in 2 categories:
Category A. Candidates with no type of Diploma in Piano Performance (Undergraduate, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate, Professional, Graduate, Postgraduate, Specialist, or other equivalent Degrees). These Candidates may enroll in the B Category in the event of them wanting to compete with Candidates who hold a Diploma.
Category B. Candidates with a Diploma in Piano Performance (Undergraduate, Bachelor, Master, Doctorate, Professional, Graduate, Postgraduate, Specialist, or other equivalent Degrees). These Candidates may not enroll in the A Category.
- Application. Applications for the Competition open online from April 19th, 2021, to, and no later than, June 14th, 2021. The Application Form, which can be found on pianolink.it/amateurs-competition/iscrizione, must be filled out in all of its parts. The Candidates must specify the chosen repertoire for both the Preliminary and Final Round, declare the effective duration of every single piece and of the overall duration of their performances (which must be in accordance with the requested timings of each Round), and finally attach the Video Recording for the Preliminary Round along with all the requested documentation. The Candidate must communicate, in addition to all of her/his personal information, an email address to which she/he agrees to receive all communications and to which she/he guarantees to be always reachable; The Candidate must also declare her/his nationality, specifying to which one she/he would like to be associated to, in case of double nationality.By submitting the Application, the Candidate declares and guarantees, in accordance with Art. 46 e 47 of D.P.R. n. 445/2000, that:
-She/he is not a professional pianist (By professional pianist it is intended anyone who engages in concert activities and/or teaching activities for remunerative purposes) or has not been a professional pianist for at least the last 10 years up to the date of enrollment to the Competition.
-She/he has not had any didactical relationship with any member of the Jury from 01/01/2019.
-The sent video does not violate any intellectual property rights, moral rights, copy rights, protection rights of a third party or publication rights; moreover, it is guaranteed that applicable Copyright laws are thoroughly respected.
-By sending the video, She/he intends to concede to the Competition, free of charge and with no temporal or physical limitations, the exercise of all of the utilization and exploitation rights related to the video (or to its frame images), in addition to the rights connected to the use of her/his personal image, (private) environments or objects filmed during its recording. Moreover, the Candidate concedes the rights connected to her/his name and to all of the information and data obtained during the aforementioned recording, and the rights of publication in any way or form, from diffusion or fixation, to reproduction, broadcasting through any medium, from public viewing in any manner and licensing form, to exposition and partial or readapted use, etc. on various digital or nondigital media channels.
-She/he is fully aware that, once the video has been sent, it will be visible online. The Organizers of the Competition will not be held accountable in any circumstance for eventual misuse or abuse of the published material that third parties might potentially commit.
- Application Fee. The Application Fee of the Competition amounts to €90,00 for both Categories A and B. The Application Fee can be paid either through Bank Transfer to “Associazione Musicale PianoLink” on the following IBAN Code IT59D0306909606100000102994 or directly online on www.pianolink.it/amateurs-competition/iscrizione through credit card or PayPal. The Application Fee is not reimbursable, if not in cases of cancellation of the Competition due to decisions of the Directory Board or to force majeure, in which case only if happened before the beginning of the Preliminary Round (before 30/06/2021). In no circumstance will the Application Fee be reimbursed in case of the Candidate’s exclusion.
- Rounds and Program. ONLINE Preliminary Round: July 1st/August 16th, 2021– Categories A and B
- Video recording of a free choice repertoire, ranging from 8 to 12 minutes (without considering the time required for a short introduction and the pauses between pieces), which must include:
- At least one composition composed before 1800
- At least one composition composed from 1801 to this day
The Preliminary Round will be held Online and will begin on July 1st, 2021 with the publication of the Videos of the Candidates on the Competition’s YouTube Channel, prior to a formal review of the Application Forms and relative attachments, and will end on August 16th, 2021, with the complete evaluation of all the videos by the Jury.The video for the Preliminary Round must be a single file live recording, made with any available device at personal disposal (smartphone, tablet, video, or webcam, etc., as long as used with the camera’s lens being completely clean), with no cuts, editing, postproduction work and without any inserted text, logo and/or graphical elements, with fixed framing – one single camera – from the right side of the piano – high register – so that the keyboard, pedals, as well as the hands and the whole body of the Candidate can be clearly seen. The camera must be placed horizontally. The Candidate will introduce her/himself before the performance, declaring the Name and Edition of the Competition. The video must range from a minimum of 8 to a maximum of 12 minutes of pure performance, without considering the time required for verbal presentation and the pauses between pieces.
Videos with a shorter performance duration than what required or that exceed the maximum duration by more than 29 seconds will not be accepted under any circumstance. The video must be sent according to the scheduling stated on the Application Form, through permanent links, free of authentication or login restrictions. Temporary and/or links with required passwords will not be accepted. The video must also be uploaded on a YouTube Channel as “not listed”, i.e., only available through link. Already published and/or released videos will not be accepted.
The Administration of the Competition retains the right to exclude or demand for a new recording and for other integrations – which are to be sent according to the preestablished Application deadline – from those Candidates whose video/audio files result either edited or unsynchronized, whose choice of repertoire does not appear to be in line with the abovementioned specifications or who result as having violated one or more Rules of the Competition. The exclusion can be deliberated in any moment and/or phase, before, during or after the Competition. In addition, retroactive exclusion may be applied in case of a late discovery of untruthful declarations and/or relevant information that would have caused the exclusion in the first place.
Access to the Final Round
The Jury will express its vote in hundredths and will publish the list of the 10 candidates admitted to the Final Round on August 23rd, 2021. In order to advance to the Final Round, the 10 Candidates must obtain a score of 80/100 or higher. A maximum of 6 Candidates from each Category will be admitted.
The overall number of Finalists can be incremented by the unquestionable discretion of the Artistic Director in accordance with the Jury up to a maximum of two decimals of the overall number of enrolled Candidates, with a limit of 20 in the event of more than 50 enrolled Candidates.
All selected Finalists will be notified by email by August 30th, 2021. The Finalists must confirm their availability to take part to the Final Round, either in person or through Online Live Streaming, within the first 2 days of the reception of the communication sent by the Administration of the Competition to the address declared in the Application Form. In the event of a Finalist not accepting to take part to the Final Round, in the event of a Finalists not communicating within 3 days of the reception of the email, in the event of incomplete or incorrect information in the Application or in the event of any type of irregularities in accordance with the present Rules and Regulations, the Artistic Direction will select the first available Candidate, based on the Final Round’s Admission List, who will thus substitute the excluded and/or unreachable one. The Candidates undertake the responsibility of the proper functioning of their personal email inbox.
Solo Final Round: Cremona, September 25th, 2021
- Free choice repertoire ranging from 15 to 20 minutes
The Final Round will take place on September 25th, 2021, in Cremona, within the context of Cremona Musica. The Final Round will be held either in person or via Online Live Streaming, in compliance to future applicable sanitary legislations. The Final Round will be, in any case, live streamed on the Competition, PianoLink, Yamaha Music Europe and Cremona Musica Facebook and YouTube pages.
The Organizers of the Competition reserves the right to change the location of the Final Round for organizational reasons; the Administration will ensure to communicate with due advance to all the Finalists the updated information.
The 10 Finalists will perform a program of free choice, ranging from 15 to 20 minutes, in front of the Jury, either in person or through Online Live Streaming. After all the performances, the Jury will deliberate its decision by expressing a vote per Finalist between 1 (lowest) and 5 (highest) and compiling an overall ranking per Category based on merit and quality. In case of ex-aequo, the Chairman of the Jury’s vote will be deciding.
The Jury will nominate 5 Winners, compiling a single final ranking made as follows: First Place Winner of Cat. A, First Place Winner of Cat. B, Second Place Winner of Cat. A, Second Place Winner of Cat. B, Third Place Winner of Cat. A or Cat. B, depending on who will have received the highest score. The Jury will nominate the Absolute First Prize Winner of the PianoLink International Amateur Competition.
The Jury may not assign one or more prizes if it finds the artistic standards and requisites to be lacking. The Absolute Prize Winner of the PianoLink International Amateurs Competition will not be admitted to the next 3 Editions of the Competition.
Both edited and unedited arrangements or compositions are accepted for both Categories in the Preliminary and Final Round.
Concerning the attribution of the year of composition of a given piece, the year printed on its first edition prevails on other sources. Regrading transcriptions, the year of composition of the original piece is to be considered. Concerning paraphrases, arrangements, variations or works on Themes by other composers, the year of composition of the paraphrase, arrangement, variation, or work is to be considered. Playing by memory is not compulsory. Only one piece, although no longer than 8 minutes, may be repeated in the Final Round. Each Round of the Competition is public. The decisions of the Jury are irrevocable.
- Awards. Every Candidate admitted to the Competition will receive a Certificate of Attendance and a synthetic personalized evaluation by each Juror.The 5 Winners of the Competition will be awarded with:
- Winner’s Recital at the Palazzina Liberty, Milano, during the MiAmOr Music Festival 2022
- Winner’s Recital in St. Petersburg (Summer 2022)
- Written evaluation, signed by the Jury
The Absolute First Prize will be awarded to the Candidate regarded as the most suited by the Jury, independently of the Category.
Absolute First Prize PianoLink International Amateurs Competition
Enrollment to the PianoLink 2021/2022 Piano and Orchestra Workshop, comprising of paid roundtrips from/to every European Country to/from Milano and of paid accommodation necessary to the attendance of lessons, rehearsals with Orchestra and Final Concert with Orchestra in Milano.
Specific contents: Individual Lessons on Piano and Orchestra Repertoire, Masterclass with an internationally acclaimed pianist, Rehearsals with Orchestra and Final Gala Concert with the PianoLink Philharmonic Orchestra during the MiAmOr Music Festival 2022, at the Palazzina Liberty in Milano. The prize is offered by Yamaha Music Europe – Branch Italy.
The individual lessons will be held online and/or in person, in any European Country. The rehearsals with Orchestra will be held in Milano. The Prize includes paid roundtrip travels to/from Milano and accommodation expenses. In case of a non-EU Prize Winner, the lessons will be planned in a European location and/or online, while the travel reimbursements relative to specific activities held in Milano will refer to the same European location to/from Milano.
Special Prize Cremona Musica
The selections for the Cremona Musica Prize 2021 , regulated exclusively by popular appreciation (Public Prize), will be held over the course of an extended temporal arch, starting on July 1st, 2021, and terminating on May 16th, 2022.
All the Candidate’s videos published for the First Preliminary Round compete for the Cremona Musica Prize. After the voting period, the videos will be ranked according to a classification based on public appreciation, alias on the number of Likes scored by each video on the YouTube Channel of the Competition from July 1st ,2021, to May 16th, 2022, 23:59 (local Italian time). The likes must come from real, active, and regular profiles. A video with a higher number of likes than the number of visualizations will be considered to be irregular and invalid. The Candidates, whose videos will be in the Top 3 of the ranking, will be invited to the Winner’s Recital during the MiAmOr Music Festival 2022.
The CremonaMusica Prize consists of 1.000 Euros (to be considered as a gross income, in compliance with existing legislation up to May 16th, 2022). The Prize will be assigned to the video with the highest number of likes.
Any Candidate who will make use of bot profiles or will purchase engagement, followers and likes on the YouTube Channel will be immediately excluded from the Competition, in any phase of the Competition in which this misconduct might be discovered, including after the attribution of the Prize, which will need to be returned.
Special Prize Piano Bridges
The Special Prize Piano Bridges 2021 will be awarded to the Candidate who will be evaluated as being exceptionally praiseworthy by the Artistic Director of the Piano Bridges International Competition for Amateur Pianists of St. Petersburg. The winner will be granted free enrollment to the next edition of the Piano Bridges International Competition for Amateur Pianists.
Award Ceremony. The 5 Winners of the Competition are compelled to perform during the MiAmOr Music Festival 2022. Their refusal will result in the revocation of the won prize.
The Organizers of the Competition reserves the right to change the location of the Winner’s Concerts for organizational reasons; the Administration will ensure to communicate with due advance to all the Finalists the updated information.
- Jury. The Jury of the PianoLink International Amateurs Competition comprises globally renowned pianists and exponents of the international musical world:
- Michele Campanella, (Italy), Chairman of the Jury
- Ramin Bahrami, (Iran)
- Owen Mortimer, (UK)
- Jin Ju, (China)
- Sofya Gulyak (Russia)
The presence of the Jury during the Competition will be either in person or through online connection, in compliance with normative restrictions regarding sanitary security reasons and/or for other force majeures.
- Visibility and Video usage. For the purposes of participation, every sent video will be subject to a moderating scrutiny. The Organizers of the Competition reserve the right to exclusively use the material, which, according to their unappealable evaluation, does not result as detrimental towards the rights of third parties, does not constitute a form of advertisement of any type of non-pertinent commercial and/or noncommercial activity, containing violations of imperative norms of the Italian juridical system, public order and decency or privacy norms. The Organizers, in addition, retain the right to eliminate any video – before or after its publication –, which, according to their unappealable evaluation, may result as offensive, inadequate, or incongruous with the Spirit of the Competition. In case of one or more videos being limited in their visibility by external restrictions, due to norms and/or mechanisms imposed by platforms and/or hosting social media (i.e., Facebook, YouTube, etc.) or in case of quality damaging technical issues during live-streaming transmissions, which are not ascribable to the Organizers of the Competition, the Competition is not required to take reparatory or compensatory actions of any kind towards the Candidate whose videos will have experienced the above mentioned restrictions or technical issues.
- Unforeseen circumstances and force majeure. The Organizers of the Competition reserve the right to emend, purely for organizational urgencies, the Calendar and the Rules and Regulations of the Competition in any way or form considered to be necessary. The Organizers may, in addition, reschedule, suspend or cancel the Competition at any given moment of the Selections, with no legal obligation of reimbursement towards the Candidates. In the event that one or more members of the Jury or one or more Candidates will not be able to attend the Final Round in Cremona, the Organizers of the Competition will deliberate on whether the Final Round shall be held Online, Live-Streamed or both – rather than only in person in Cremona. There will be no form of reimbursement, restoration, substitutive compensation to the Winners, in case of a missed or partial fulfilment of the awarded prizes for reasons that will not be ascribable to the Organizers of the Competition.
- Consent Forms and Privacy. In case of audio/video/photographic recordings of each Round of the Competition and of the Winner’s Recital, the Candidates renounce to every economical right and of any other sort and authorize the Artistic Direction of the Competition, as well as any other eventual connected production or broadcasting corporation, to their free publication and reproduction. The Candidates, by submitting the Application, consent to the treatment of their personal data, given to PianoLink APS in relation to the present Competition, which will follow the European Norm (UE) 2016/679 in matter of protection of physical individuals in relation to the treatment of personal data, also through electronic devices. The treatment will be done exclusively for purposes related to the participation to the Competition. The responsible of the treatment is PianoLink APS, with Office in Milano, Via Giacomo Watt n.2. In particular, spontaneously submitted personal data will be treated by the Owner with mostly electronic procedures and with analytical instrumentation, including statistical, with the purpose of carrying out all of the activities connected to the Competition. Furthermore, the data will be treated and conserved until necessary to comply with administrative, and of other types, norms which are mandatory by law in our Country or in virtue of EU decisions. The requested data are of compulsory providing for the aforementioned purposes and their missed conferment will impede to fulfil the Competition’s administrative activities and to comply with normative regulations. The retention of the data with regards to administrative reasons will be limited to the period of fulfillment of its individual phases and according to what requested by concerning law. In compliance with art. 15-21, GDPR, by writing to the Owner at the abovementioned postal address, it is possible to exercise consultation, modification, cancellation, and erasure rights, as well as data treatment limitation or to oppose their treatment for legitimate reasons or for informative or promotional purposes. In case of withdrawal of given consent, which can be presented in any given moment, it remains clear that this does not undermine the lawfulness of the treatment based on previously manifested consent or on lawful alternative consent mechanisms. It is also made clear that whoever might be interested has the right to file a complaint to competent authority in order to claim their rights. Finally, one has the right to request data portability, where applicable, i.e., to receive one’s personal data in a structured format, of public availability and readable on common electronic devices, in order to directly transmit them to another subject, autonomous owner of the treatment, so that he will be able to treat them within the limits drawn by the concerning person.
- Applicable Law and competent Court. The event is excluded from the legislation concerning prize-based events, as stated in Art. 6 of Dpr 430/2001. Each Candidate who undersigns the Application to the Competition integrally accepts the present Rules and Regulations with no exceptions. The appliable law to the Competition and to all rights and obligations stemming from it is the Italian Law. The Rules and Regulation in its original Italian form have legal value over any controversy. The Court of Milano is declared exclusively competent on this matter.